Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Merchant of Venice: Act 1


When first reading The Merchant of Venice, it is somewhat difficult to believe that this is in fact, considered a comedy. In the first act, even the first line, we encounter a character who claims to be sad, yet for an unknown reason. Antonio states, “I know not why I am so sad”. (1.1.1) His friends assure him that this feeling must be caused by anxiety of his ships being at sea. Salerio says to him, “Your mind is tossing on the ocean.”(1.1.8) while Solanio agrees, saying that, “Believe me, sir, had I such venture forth the better part of my affections would be with my hopes abroad.”(1.1.14-17) There are several things, such as bad weather and pirates that can affect a merchant’s merchandise. Antonio assures them that all of his fortunes are not dependent on this one venture and he also tells them that he is not in love. He insists that his sadness has no cause, “I hold the world but as the world, a stage where every man must play a part and man a sad one.”(1.1.77-79) So in the first act of this “comedy”, we are introduced to a character that has a sad disposition for essentially no reason. This seems to be an odd way to start off a comedy. That is not to say that there are not any comedic elements in this act. The banter between Antonio’s friends in particular is humorous, especially Graziano. After Graziano’s long speech to Antonio about having a more positive nature and often men that are considered wise because of their quiet and sullen disposition are usually instead foolish, Lorenzo replies playfully, “I must be one of these same dumb wise men, for Graziano never lets me speak.”, to which Graziano quickly responds with, “Well, keep me company but two years more thou shalt not know the sound of thine own tongue.”(1.1.106-109). We also see irony, which is a common device used in Shakespearean comedies. The very suitor, Bassanio who begs Antonio for financial help in wooing Portia is the only man that she finds appealing and acceptable amongst her long list of possible suitors. There are some similarities and differences when compared to Much Ado About Nothing. The bond between Antonio and Bassanio is very reminiscent between that Don Pedro and Claudio. Such as Don Pedro vows to help his friend Claudio in his quest for love, Antonio does the same for Bassanio. “I pray you, good Bassanio, let me know it, and if it stand as you yourself still do, within the eye of honour, be assured my purse, my person, my extremest means lie all unlocked to your occasions.”(1.1.135-139) We also see a similarity of deceit between Don John and Shylock. What is different amongst the plays is this introduction of race/religion being an issue. Shylock’s character introduces the conflict between Jews and Christianity that was not present in Much Ado. As far as my reaction to the first act of the play, I do admire Antonio’s loyalty and willingness to help Bassanio in the present situation. I think that it definitely takes a true, good friend to loan money even when Bassanio has admitted to wasting his own money by trying to portray an higher lifestyle than he could afford. However, I think it was slightly foolish for Antonio to borrow money just to lend it out. Financially, that makes no sense. Also, I am aware of Shylock’s character portrayal as a villain, but I could not help but sympathize with him. I thought he made very valid arguments when talking to Antonio. They did have some nerve spitting on him and calling him a dog, yet shamelessly asking for loans. Shylock clearly has ulterior motives, as foreshadowed by Bassanio at the end of Act 1, “I like not fair terms and a villain’s mind.”(1.3.175) but I can not necessarily blame him for wanting retribution.  

No comments:

Post a Comment